Re: Sode no Tsuyu, Kouro

From: Thomas W Hare (thare@Princeton.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 06:29:02 PDT

Welcome to the pleasures of cursive Japanese!

The second piece is "Tsuru no koe" and the third, "Sode (no) k=F4ro." Th=
e titles
look different because they're written with variant forms of the kanji i=
question. Kawase uses traditional forms consistently, whereas Judo uses =
an
unusual historical form for "tsuru" even though he opts for the modern (t=
=F4y=F4
kanji) version of "koe." Both use heavily cursivized and traditional for=
ms for
the word "k=F4ro."

Pedantically yours,
Tom Hare

Bruce Jones wrote:

> Well, looks like my poor ability to read kanji has me confusing
> Sode no Tsuyu with Sode (no) Goro, perhaps.
>
> I have two different Kurokami scores. One Kawase/Chikuyusha and
> one by Notomi Judo. The Kawase score is, according to Ron Nelson's
> Kawase list:
> Kurokami,
> Sode Goro, and
> Tsuru no Koe.
>
> The Judo score is, according to the titles written next to the kanji
> on the cover (by Dan Meyer?):
> Kurokami,
> Tsuru no Koe, and
> Soda no Tsuya [sic].
>
> My difficulty in sorting this out is now twofold. I can easily
> make out the kanji for Kurokami on each score. In addition to that
> kanji, there are two other sets of kanji. The second title on each
> score might be different while the third title on each score is
> legibly the same.
>
> The question(s) are: what is the correct title for each of the
> pieces, not including Kurokami, on each of these pieces of notation?
> Is Tsuru no Koe really the third piece on each score, and the
> previous owner of the Judo score mistaken? Or am I thoroughly
> confused?
>
> I would appreciate it if someone with a grasp of kanji could take a
> look at the web page at:
> http://communication.ucsd.edu/bjones/Kurokami/
> and tell me what the titles are in each of the positions.
>
> Still trying to write the definitive list of titles in each
> repertiore,
>
> bj
>
> -

kuhachi">