Re: Cleaning the outside

From: Monty H. Levenson (monty@shakuhachi.com)
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 22:20:51 PDT

Hi Dominic,

To remove the gummy residue on an old shakuhachi, I scour the outside
with fine steel wool (#000) saturated in rubbing alcohol. With some
care, this will not damage the surface of the bamboo. Wipe off with a
soft rag.

Be sure to use isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol which can be purchased at
your local pharmacy, not methyl alcohol found at the hardware store.
The rubbing alcohol is more benign. Use gloves when working. Avoid
having the alcohol enter the bore of the flute, if possible. If it
does, no harm will be done if removed quickly.

If you're not set up to do this, I'd be glad to clean the flute at no
charge. Just send the shakuhachi.

All the best.

Monty