RE: shakuhachi V1 #176

From: Bill O'Connor (billo44@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Fri Oct 11 2002 - 01:03:47 PDT

RE: Cashew.

As I understand it Cashew is extracted from the shell cases from cashew
nuts, also synthetic cashew is manufactured these days. I have a tin in
the mess I laughingly refer to as a workshop (can't read the label
though). It has long been used as an alternative finish for those who
have an allergic reaction to lacquer (urushi). Mejiro sell the stuff
http://www.mejiro-jp.com/eng/CatalogEnglishcontents.html (section 16)
but they won't ship it unfortunately. You can buy it in various colours
at any large hardware store in Japan. It is air drying unlike urushi
which cures when it absorbs moisture from the air.

Discussing the effect it may have on the sound of the finished
instrument will probably open up a heated debate on this subject,
eminent physicists, such as Benade, tell us that the material used to
make an instrument (in the flute family) does not effect its tone in any
way...Therefore you could argue that the finish used will have no
effect. I would certainly say that the finish applied will have
considerably less effect on the tone of an instrument than the skill &
experience (and luck) of the person applying the finish to the
instrument (I should know because I'm crap at it!).

I think that urushi is better at 'breathing' moisture even when it is
cured, using cashew might increase the chances of a flute splitting in
years to come...I'm guessing though! We will all have noticed how the
joint of a Shakuhachi swells when the weather is wet, thus tightening up
the joint which conversely gets loose in dry weather, if the finish used
can't swell and shrink with the bamboo it's likely to peel off sooner.
If I leave water standing in a Miso soup bowl that has been painted with
genuine urushi, the colour will change below the water line, when the
bowl dries the colour returns. Therefore I would guess that even cured
urushi is not completely impervious to water, whereas an oil based paint
like cashew probably is 100% waterproof.

Forgive me if I am overcomplicating the issue.

Perhaps Tom Deaver will share his wisdom on the subject of finishes for
Shakuhachi with the rest of us on the list.

Best Regards,

Bill O'Connor.