Re: Tapering the PVC Bore

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 15:27:11 PST

Hi Nelson,

Maybe it's time to ask why the pvc flute plays so well without a
taper? Since it's made of plastic the tone of course is lacking just
like with cast bore flutes. But, if a different material that
allows a more natural sound (wood etc.) was used would a straight
bore make a good shakuhachi?

Another question. If caste bore flutes were cast with a softer, or
different kind of resin would they sound less harsh? A flute maker
here in Washington state is making caste bore flutes that don't sound
harsh. They play just as well as other caste bore flutes but have a
more natural or warmer sound. I think it may be the type of resin
he's using. Maybe others will experiment with this.

_________

--
Peter Ross
http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com