Re: Shakuhachi vs Hocchiku; Suizen vs Music

From: ribbled@med.kochi-ms.ac.jp
Date: Wed Jan 29 2003 - 18:53:31 PST

Very interesting set of exchanges, and the points made by Riley Lee and
Nelson Zink are both equally valid, I think. It seems we are talking
about the merits of shakuhachi as a discipline vs. the hocchiku which can
be played are not the eternal hocchiku, a Chinese debate which began
centuries before Zen teachings reached Japanese shores. And yes, I've
recently noticed that dogs in my neighborhood do start to bark when I play
the shakuhachi but as yet there's no howling. More practice...or the
right practice? (or maybe a hocchiku flute?)

Dan Ribble

"A discipline whose object is the 'transmutation' of gestures and behavior
into rituals, at the same time preserving their spontaneity, undoubtedly
has a religious structure and function"

Mircea Eliade