Hitori Mondo

From: Bill O'Connor (billo44@gaea.ocn.ne.jp)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 23:48:34 PST

Hi folks,
        The recent discussions on Shakuhachi and Zen were pretty
interesting...
The International Shakuhachi Society have kindly agreed to put the
'Hitori Mondo' translation up on their web site, it's an Q&A session
with a Shakuhachi teacher (tooter tutor) written 180 years ago. Makes
quite interesting reading! Check it out (even if you don't like the rest
of my rap)... http://www.komuso.com/people/Hisamatsu_Fuyo.html

Jay Keister said in the introduction to his/her survey....
 "In Japan, the Shakuhachi seems to function primarily as a musical
instrument (outside of its use in a few Zen temples) similar to koto and

shamisen, while in America the Shakuhachi has much more explicit
religious
and philosophical connotations that lead players to engage in the
instrument as a tool of meditation."
I wonder what is the source of this data?

I think it's a mistake to assume that people practising Shakuhachi in
Japan are not aware of it's religious connotations, but if you're hoping
to hear Japanese players talk about their religious beliefs, or their
own 'enlightenment', you are likely to be disappointed. It's a
generalisation of course, but people in Japan don't seem happy talking
about such personal things...I think it's a humility thing (and also
quite convenient). Hisamatsu Fuyo says...
"If you do not make it your purpose to abandon all greed and desires,
even if you blow the bamboo, it is not Zen practice."
I think this includes greed and desire for religious attainment or
enlightenment. Catch 22!

As the man says..."I just hold the bamboo and blow it."

Forgive me for boring you!

Bill O'Connor.
Nagano-Ken