Re: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 14:19:04 PST

Bill,

> My antennae also perked at a claim to "know" who or how many people
> reach enlightenment anywhere.

It's simpler than that.

You've offered a definition of enlightenment as:

> simply "be" in the timeless stream of life

Using your definition, are you or anyone you know able to sustain this state
of 'timelessness' throughout their lives? In short, are you or anyone you
know enlightened? You can quickly do a rough survey of those in your
immediate experience pool. Do you know a single person who can fulfill your
definition of enlightenment on a full time basis?

To put a epistemological spin on it and using your definition, would an
enlightened person even be able to speak of timelessness? What you're
suggesting is the intermittent secession of short-term memory. If it were
permanent there would be little talk or conceptualization of time at all.

Nelson