Re: shakuhachi V1 #288

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 14:50:06 PST

Karl,

> the corresponding implication (I'm probably
> again reading too much into your statements) that Zen practice is waste
> of time for those who don't "get it".

I don't know if it's a waste of time as American Zen seems to put a
substantial premium on the style aspect of the whole endeavor.

But, I'll say it this way. It's my feeling that Zen as practiced in America
isn't particularly efficacious is producing a substantial, permanent and
life changing experience compatible with common concepts of enlightenment.
The success ratio is lower than most fad diets.

However, as a method for stress reduction, organizing ongoing life
experience, giving meaning, coherence and identity to one's existence many
people swear by Zen--Zen as a lifestyle choice.

> I guess
> veiled beneath my questions is that some might quibble with your
> assertion that enlightenment can be assessed in a manner similar to
> pregnancy

I don't mind your quibble at all as it points out part of the problem with
American Zen. It's been individualized to the extent that there is no
comprehensive understanding of what Zen is and why one might practice it.
Everybody's got their particular spin, understanding and interpretation such
that any inherent deep wisdom in the practice is lost. What Americans tend
to practice is their personal take on Zen. Which begs the question of why do
Zen at all. If it's something which can be arbitrarily modified to fit
personal tastes, then it ends up being a matter of fashion.

Nelson