Re: Blowing shakuhachi & pain...

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 11:21:33 PDT

I don't know that I ever caused myself any dental pain, but my
facial muscles around my mouth used to get really tired when I
played.

What I was told to do, and what worked, was to get my embouchure
all tightened up and working, and then, when the sound was relatively
stable (I was making an audible sound that was not disappearing),
to begin to relax things around my mouth and see what really needed
to be tight and what I was just tightening up unnecessarily.

It took a bit of work, but surprisingly not much, to get an embouchure
that is loose and relaxed and allows me to move comfortably between
otsu and kan reliably.

bj

-