Re: Shakuhachi adventure part 3

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Sat Jul 05 2003 - 07:00:08 PDT

Hi, Al.

Your poetic thoughts were refreshing this morning. They took me back to
last week's magical time at camp.

Because you were at Riley's "Asuka Reibo" class, you'll be one of the
first to have access to the audio files now online:
http://www.shakucamp.com/asuka.htm

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Sandra and Alcvin Ramos wrote:

> I was quite moved also by Karl
> Signell's performance of the Persian Ney flute. It was quite haunting
> and stirring. Aferwards, Karl offered to demonstrate how hard it was to
> make a sound out of it. I think it may be even more difficult to get a
> sound out if it than the shakuhachi!

Thanks for your kind comments on my playing of the *Turkish* ney. I
offered to demonstrate how *easy* it is to get a sound, and nearly
everyone did get a musical sound within five minutes or so. How many
beginning shakuhachi students get a musical sound within five minutes? It
seems more difficult because we've forgotten our first attempts at making
a sound on the shakuhachi.

Sorry I missed the late-night gathering in Kurita-san's room. I learned
about his shakuhachi-making prowess late but was able to buy his last PVC
shakuhachi (nice).

I'm glad we met and hope to see you again next year. All the best of luck
with your ambitious Vancouver festival. Sounds great!

Karl