then again...

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 18 2003 - 04:30:18 PDT

Regarding the particle "no," it isn't just a posessive as I wrote
above--it can equal a number of different prepositions in English, and
is also used after certain adjectives, which is what I think is going
on here. Thus we say Kan no ro, not ro no kan, but we say u no
dai-meri, not dai-meri no u--so the note (u, ro) can come either before
or after the particle no. So I shouldn't have written that last comment
without more reflection, and it may well be incorrect, but u no san
just doesn't sound right to me. I've had very little formal training in
Japanese, but have spoken it daily for five years, so I go by what
sounds right to me, though I know that's pretty soft ground to stand
on. Perhaps a native speaker or fluent Japanese speaker could sort it
out for us. It only matters to me as it would be nice to have some more
uniformity in terminology, or at least a better understanding among
schools of each other's terminology. It's enough keeping Kinko/Tozan
notation straight, to say nothing of Chikuho!

Peter