Re: More on Korean music

From: Peter H (voxsonorus@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 12:51:39 PDT

As Karl indicated, the resemblance is superficial. The t'ongso and
danso are cousins of the Chinese dongxiao; if I recall correctly
t'ongso is a cognate of dongxiao and tanso means "short" so/xiao. The
mouthpiece on these instruments is not bevelled towards the outside of
the instrument like a shakuhachi, which is part of what accounts for
the huge difference in sound, ability to alter the pitch etc. I've
heard that the shakuhachi derived from a flute found in Fujian province
in China with the same type of mouthpiece; if not, it's origin is
unknown, but either way it's not a direct descendant/cousin of these
flutes. So it differs more from them than a hammer dulcimer does from a
santoor, for example.
Brian's story about Korean listeners is amazing; perhaps someone will
trace the connection between Kumoi Jishi and other pieces to thier
Korean counterparts if they do indeed exist. Next time I'm in Korea
I'll have to whip out a flute and play on the street.=20

I've had Chinese marvel at my ability to use "Chinese chopsticks,"
Korean's marvel at my ability with "Korean chopsticks," and Japanese at
my ability with "Japanese chopsticks." They are a bit different,
but.....now if I could do that thing so many Asian students have
mastered--flipping their pens back and forth around their thumbs--that
would be cause for wonder.

Peter