Re: on vibrato

From: Nelson Zink (zink@newmex.com)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 11:27:15 PDT

Peter,

>> "Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the masters. Seek what they
>> sought."
>
> Great quote, Herb! Now, how does that translate into particulars, in
> our yuri discussion, for example? That's always the hard part, isn't
> it?

I think I understand your logic--that if I understood what the master sought
then I wouldn't have any need for a master. That I don't comprehend what the
master is sought is the problem.

But let me introduce a little different slant. Maybe what the master sought
is of little interest to me, maybe it's beyond my particular capabilities,
and why should I pattern my life on the master's needs anyway? So maybe I
should seek not what the master sought but, instead, what I need. I can
emulate the master's perseverance and dedication without using the master's
particular goals. I don't have much idea what the master sought (why should
I care?) but I have some sense of what I'm after.

Nelson