Re: 2 many mailing lists?

From: James Jennings (jennings@megaseattle.com)
Date: Wed Sep 24 2003 - 15:07:21 PDT

>...to find that some folks wish to take the non-spiritual
>(my reading of the distinction) stuff off the main list.

"Non-spiritual" is certainly not how I read the distinction.

>Then I get a message that shows that someone else has setup a list
>on yahoo (which is "free" - but you get to pay in other ways) for
>the same discusison.

Except they called it "ShakuhachiDesign", which is not my distinction
either. (Not to mention the fact that I'd prefer to avoid Yahoo
Groups if possible.)

"ShakuPhys" sounded like an excellent name to me. I want to explore
the physics of how an air jet and a pipe gives rise to a
characteristic sound. This is a different topic from spirituality,
musicality, performance, and flute making issues.

>I would like the folks who are participating in the new list to
>consider bringing their discussion back onto the main list.

Note that Marko is considering a sort of "Journal Club", and
suggested starting with a paper from the Journal of the Acoustical
Society of America. This is a bit like starting a non-fiction book
group, except it assumes a grounding in calculus and physics.
Discussing that here might be as out of place as discussing French
Literature.

While I agree that it'd be a shame to divide the discussion because
we have trouble getting along, there's no shame in dividing the
discussion according to our interests. The scientists will still be
on the original list after all.

James