recording shakuhachi

From: suffner@teleport.com
Date: Wed Oct 08 2003 - 11:25:18 PDT

Hello All,

I have a small ProTools-based recording system in my home. I've played shakuhachi for many years and am doing some recording of it, solo and overdubs with other instruments.

I was just wondering if others are doing recording post-production etc. and would be interested in sharing techniques and tips? Also, if folks have recorded in studios, would they share some of their experiences?

I was able to speak with John Neptune for a short time recently and he said, since sound comes from bothe ends of the flute, to mike the flute from above and at an angle perpendicular to the flute. He also suggested using two mikes at that point, separated about the distance of the ears on a head. I've tried it a bit and it seems to work well.

I record the flute dry but add reverb in the headphone mix. DSP effects are added in mixdown. I work the eq both at record time and during post-production to control silibance. I post eq on Event monitors and headphones.

Having two tracks to work with makes for some nice options during mixing. Pan can be set and effects added independently. Also slightly offsetting in time can make a very rich sound.

Of course ambience of the recording environment has a big effect and I've experimented with various environments from very "alive" to almost totally "dead." I even tried outdoors.

Best Regards,

stan