RE: Lacquer skinny?

From: Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 08:30:30 PST

 "Then there's Urushi - made from the Sumac plant"...

interesting... how is the lacquer made from the sumac? I eat a form of sumac
for breakfast in the morning, a brownish-red powder packaged up by the
Arabs, frequently eaten by Arabs and Persians (I picked up the habit during
my stay in Africa)... I note that it is similar in color to some of the
varnished interiors of flutes I've seen... and wonder if any of you guys
could use this in your varnish making... anyway it has a bunch of labeling
in Arabic and the English word SUMAC displayed prominently (pronounced
harsher and from the throat in Arabic: SUU-MAAAAK)... the stuff I get comes
from the Canary Trading Company in Anaheim California...

Brett Breitwieser (brett@bigskyranch.us)
Big Sky Ranch of Arizuma: http://bigskyranch.us <http://bigskyranch.us>
Pahana's Pithouse: http://pahana.us <http://pahana.us>
Solar Station: http://solarstation.us

"Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam,
and the deer and the antelope play.
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word,
and the skies are not cloudy all day..."