Re: Lacquer skinny?

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 07:25:14 PST

Folks,

It appears to me that you are getting into a discussion of "lacquer"
because it is the traditional coating for the inside of shakuhachi,
like bamboo is the traditional material for shaks.

Lacquer is a slipery term because there's (or was) "Imron", which
was DuPont's "lacquer" for painting cars. Completely a synthetic.
Then there's Urushi - made from the Sumac plant, and there's the
Urushi substitiute "cashew" made from that plant - neither of which
is synthethic.

And there is the lacquer used to finish wood - Park's Clear Lacquer,
Deft Clear Wood Finish" etc., also synthetics.

I could probably go on a bit if I cared to look around. As to how
many of these are still available in various parts of the world
might make an interesting discussion, but would not be useful for
someone whose task is to finish the inside of a bamboo tube in such
a way as to protect it from moisture laden air.

There is nothing about lacquer, in any of its myriad forms, that
makes it the sole agent for said protection. While perhaps not as
asthetically pleasing inside a shak, the polyurethene finish I put
on my floors would do the same job, just as well as any lacquer.

Given the difficulty of obtaining usable "lacquer", what other
finishes are available that would do the job? I suggested
automobile enamel a while back. Certainly is easily available,
waterproof, and wear resistant. What other finishes could be used?

Any woodworkers (as in furniture makers) out there?

bj

-