Re: Kyorei

From: Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin (Nyogetsu@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 06:41:19 PST

--B_3152338879_71701

> [...]
erent
> in every way.
>=20
> The Kinko-Ryu piece is usually referred to as Shin Kyorei (which means =B3n=
ew=B2
> Kyorei). The other two KOTEN pieces having the added =B3Reibo=B2 (memory of t=
he
> bell) is a reference , and in honor of- the bell that Fuke-Zenji would p=
lay.
>=20
> Kyotaku has been called the REAL oldest Honkyoku. Since it was lost over=
 the
> ages, the attempt to recreate it is KYOREI (or false bell, or empty bell)=
.
>=20
> The above is not the last word on these matters, only what my teacher
> Kurahashi Yodo taught me.
>=20
> The two people who have the best Academic understanding of all of these t=
hings
> (in my opinion) are Riley Lee and Ralph Samuelson. But I hope that I have
> helped a bit !
>=20
> Take Care,
> Ronnie
>=20
> Will some kind expert please set me straight here:
> =20
> I am told "Mukaiji Reibo," "Shin No Kyorei," and "Koku Reibo" are referre=
d to
> as the three pieces of Bekkaku, or The Traditional Three, and are the mos=
> important of the Kinko Ryu Honkyoku.
> =20
> And I have read "Shin No Kyorei" is a Koten piece from the Kinko Ryu scho=
ol,
> also apparently sometimes known as "Kyotaku", from a story of that same n=
ame.
> And I also see it referred to as "Kyorei (Fudaiji)" and "Fudai-ji: KYOREI=
".
> The International Shakuhachi Society, I note, refers to the piece as "Shi=
> Kyorei", without the Japanese connecting word "no".
> =20
> And, finally, I am aware the Jin Nyodo #5 CD contains this masterful piec=
e,
> and I believe I have a copy of Jin Nyodo's notation here before me now.
> =20
> But here's my question: Every time I refer to the piece as "Shin No Kyor=
ei" I
> am abruptly corrected - without explanation - to "Kyorei."
> =20
> If what Jin Nyodo has recorded in his CD #5 is NOT "Shin No Kyorei", what
> happened to that piece? Where and when did it disappear? What is the mu=
sical
> difference between "Shin No Kyorei" and "Kyorei"? Why is it incorrect fo=
r me
> to refer to the piece as "Shin No Kyorei?"

--B_3152338879_71701

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: Kyorei</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><BR>
Hi Gene,<BR>
<BR>
To put it simply, these are different pieces. The SAN KOTEN &nbsp;of the Me=
ian (or MYOAN) tradition, or three classical (oldest pieces) are KOKU, MUKAI=
JI, and REIBO. As you have mentioned, &nbsp;&quot;Mukaiji Reibo,&quot; &quot=
;Shin No Kyorei,&quot; and &quot;Koku Reibo&quot; are the KOTEN of the Kinko=
-Ryu. While sharing a cultural History, musically and compositionally the Ki=
nko-Ryu pieces are quite different from the Fudaiji (Meian) pieces.<BR>
<BR>
The Fudaiji line pieces (which is the Jin Nyodo notation that I use as well=
) , can be called &nbsp;&quot;Kyorei (Fudaiji)&quot; or &quot;Fudai-ji: KYOR=
EI&quot;, or just plain Kyorei. Along with Mukaji and Koku (also Fudaiji lin=
e), these pieces are not only much older than the previously listed Kinko-Ry=
u pieces, but they are VERY different in every way.<BR>
<BR>
The Kinko-Ryu piece is usually referred to as Shin Kyorei (which means &#82=
20;new&#8221; Kyorei). The other two KOTEN pieces having the added &#8220;Re=
ibo&#8221; (memory of the bell) is a reference , and in honor of- &nbsp;the =
bell that Fuke-Zenji would play.<BR>
<BR>
Kyotaku &nbsp;has been called the REAL oldest Honkyoku. Since it was lost o=
ver the ages, the attempt to recreate it is KYOREI (or false bell, or empty =
bell).<BR>
<BR>
The above is not the last word on these matters, only what my teacher Kurah=
ashi Yodo taught me.<BR>
<BR>
The two people who have the best Academic understanding of all of these thi=
ngs (in my opinion) are Riley Lee and Ralph Samuelson. But I hope that I hav=
e helped a bit !<BR>
<BR>
Take Care,<BR>
Ronnie<BR>
<BR>
Will some kind expert <I>please</I> set me straight here:<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
I am told &quot;Mukaiji Reibo,&quot; &quot;Shin No Kyorei,&quot; and &quot;=
Koku Reibo&quot; are referred to as the three pieces of Bekkaku, or The Trad=
itional Three, and are the most important of the Kinko Ryu Honkyoku. <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
And I have read &quot;Shin No Kyorei&quot; is a Koten piece from the Kinko =
Ryu school, also apparently sometimes known as &quot;Kyotaku&quot;, from a s=
tory of that same name. &nbsp;And I also see it referred to as &quot;Kyorei =
(Fudaiji)&quot; and &quot;Fudai-ji: KYOREI&quot;.<BR>
The International Shakuhachi Society, I note, refers to the piece as &quot;=
Shin Kyorei&quot;, without the Japanese connecting word &quot;no&quot;.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
And, finally, I am aware the Jin Nyodo #5 CD contains this masterful piece,=
 and I believe I have a copy of Jin Nyodo's notation here before me now.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
But here's my question: &nbsp;Every time I refer to the piece as &quot;Shin=
 No Kyorei&quot; I am abruptly corrected - without explanation - to &quot;Ky=
orei.&quot;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
If what Jin Nyodo has recorded in his CD #5 is NOT &quot;Shin No Kyorei&quo=
t;, what happened to that piece? &nbsp;Where and when did it disappear? &nbs=
p;What is the musical difference between &quot;Shin No Kyorei&quot; and &quo=
t;Kyorei&quot;? &nbsp;Why is it incorrect for me to refer to the piece as &q=
uot;Shin No Kyorei?&quot;<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Thank you!<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Gene<BR>
<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3152338879_71701--