Re: Lineage Question

From: NYOGETSU@NYC.RR.COM
Date: Wed Dec 24 2003 - 13:30:08 PST

>> From shakuhachi-request@communication.ucsd.edu Tue Dec 23 22:05:00 2003
>>
>> Does anyone have a clear and accurate idea of who are the living players that
>> are nearest in lineage to:
>>
>> 1. Kawase Junsuke I
>
> Kawase Junsuke III (a guess, is he still around?)

Yes, Kawase -Sensei lives and teaches in TOKYO. He is on faculty at Tokyo
Geijitsu Daigaku (Tokyo University of Fine Arts). He is the head (IEMOTO) of
the Chikuiusha Branch of Kinko-Ryu. It is the largest branch of Kinko-Ryu.

Perhaps his most outstanding student is David Wheeler, who lives and teaches
in Boulder, Colorado.

>> 2. Jin Nyodo
>
> Yoshio Kurahashi (nearest by right of birth, his father was a
> student of Jin's).

While I have been like a brother Kurahashi Yoshio-Sensei for over 31 years,
alas, I can not say that he is "nearest by right of birth to Jin Nyodo". He
is what is called a "mago-deshi" (Grand-child disciple) of Jin Nyodo, as his
father Kurahashi Yodo , was Jin Sensei's disciple.

But there are other mago-deshi of Jin Sensei's. Myself , for one (YODO
Sensei was my teacher as well), and Mitsuhashi Kifu for another (whose
teacher was Sasaki Sofu- another deshi of Jin Sensei's).

And finally, Zenyoji Keisuke has a special claim to the word "nearest"
perhaps, as he is Jin Nyodo's god-son..

BTW, at the New York Shakuhachi Festival <www.BigAppleShak.com> , in one of
the 3 rooms that will be used at all times (July 29, 2004- Aug.1, 2004),
their will be Honkyoku taught each day. On one day those who are in the Jin
Nyodo "stream" will teach a piece each. Included will be Kurahashi,
Mitsuhashi, Zenyoji and myself. On another day, DOKYOKU (the pieces of
Watazumi Doso) will be taught. Included will be Sensei's- Furuya, Kakizakai,
and Matama.

There will be panel discussions featuring Women Shakuhachi Masters, and
Shakuhachi Construction and repair. There will be an "Open Mic" concert, as
well as other Concerts of "Traditional Shakuhachi pieces (Gaikyoku and
Honkyoku)", "Women Shakuhachi Masters", "Modern Works", and "Honkyoku".

A recent option that we have just added is the possibility of attending the
"YANKEES vs. BALTIMORE" baseball game the first night (Thursday) of the
Festival. I am still working to see if say 100 or so of us could play the
National anthems of the USA and Japan on Shakuhachi !!

Keep your eyes open !
Registration forms should definitely be up in January..

Feel free to ask me any questions..
Ronnie
nyogetsu@nyogetsu.com
www.nyogetsu.com