Re: [Shaku] Shak recording

From: edBeaty (edosan@boulder.net)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 14:04:22 PST

Bill, et al,

Here is some info on Apples's Garageband (excerpted from a recent
issues of TidBITS, a Mac newsletter); be advised that it requires a
600MHz processor or faster, G3 or later and runs only under Mac OS X
(for more info, go to the imbedded URLs):

**GarageBand** -- According to Apple, about half of U.S.
   households include someone who can play a musical instrument.
   While several of us attending the keynote tried to determine how
   all of those people manage to hide their talents, Apple announced
   GarageBand, a program that enables even the casual musician to
   play over 50 software-based instruments (such as pianos, drum
   kits, basses, organs, and UFOs from outer space) using any USB or
   MIDI keyboard or controller, digitally mix up to 64 tracks, and
   integrate live audio, whether recorded from a microphone or an
   electric instrument plugged in to the Macintosh. In traditional
   Apple fashion, GarageBand's interface is fairly simple to
   understand and use. Like iTunes's playlists or iPhoto's albums,
   you click a plus-sign icon to add new instruments, then customize
   their specific sounds (such as adding distortion or using a
   British Invasion guitar sound).

<http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/>

   The software offers over 1,000 music loops (professionally
   produced drum beats and backing tracks), 200 pro-quality audio
   effects (from traditional echoes and phasing to wacky filters),
   plus a small collection of vintage and modern guitar amplifier
   emulations to intrigue the Hendrix wanna-be in your household.
   When you've recorded and tweaked your next chart-topping hit to
   your satisfaction, GarageBand offers one-click export to iTunes;
   from there, you can share your work with other iTunes users and
   other iLife applications, transfer it to an iPod, or burn your
   magnum opus to CD. (During the keynote we were commenting that the
   only thing missing is a "Sell my song on iTunes" button that would
   upload it to the iTunes Music Store.)

<http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/accessories.html>

   In addition to GarageBand's default sounds and tones, Apple also
   offers the $100 GarageBand Jam Pack with 2,000 additional loops
   and over 100 additional software instruments. Apple is also
   selling an M-Audio 49-key USB keyboard (like a piano keyboard,
   not a typewriter keyboard!) for playing software instruments.

eB