Re: [Shaku] daimeso sound on the shakuhachi - keypoints and practice method

From: Karl Young (kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 13:44:28 PST

Bruce, always the prankster :-) That reminds me of a cheap trick I use
to use on my tenor sax; on a standard tenor the lowest note is a concert
A flat. If you partially cover the bell with your knee you can get down
to a concert G (maybe even lower in analogy with the shakuhachi case,
though I never tried). As I got older and my balance got worse I had to
give up that half step (at least in cases where I had to stand while I
was playing). I bet the disciplinarians are wincing at your suggestion
though; I know of at least one teacher who likes to mention always
getting busted by another teacher for not getting his ro dai meri low
enough, as motivation for working on it :-)

--
Karl Young
University of California, SF          Phone:  (415) 221-4810 x3114  lab