[Shaku] Shakuhachi Maker & Hanko web page project

From: Bill Fletcher (bill@scienceandart.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 15:51:44 PST

Dear List Members,

For various reasons I have from time to time wished there was a place I
could look up names of shakuhachi makers and their see their hanko. I
have never found such a place on the web so I've been thinking about
gathering hanko photos and some basic information about shakuhachi
makers throughout history.

I am willing to build a web page and maintain it that would offer this.
   I plan to start in the following way. I would like anyone who is
interested to take a digital (or film) photo of their shakuhachi and a
close up of the hanko and send it to me with the maker's name. You
should be sure about the maker - we don't want to post inaccurate
information. Send to:

bill@scienceandart.com

(I will send my street address to anyone who has film/print photos - I
will scan them)

Also, please iinclude (if you know) whether they are still living and
still making shakuhachi or not. I will send the link to the list when
the web page is up. I think that at any point in history anyone who
has chosen to spend their time making shakuhachi for others to play is
a unique and special kind of artist. This could develop into an
interesting and useful resource.

I already have good hanko photos for the following active shakuhachi
makers: Monty Levenson, Hoshio Bonchiku, Ichijo Kobayashi, Ken
LaCosse,

If there is any reason anyone feels this is an inappropriate thing to
do, please let me know. Also send along any other ideas you have that
might enhance this project. There could be some interesting spin offs
and additions. Any current professional makers who want to send me the
photos directly would be appreciated. I could put a link to email or
websites of current makers and/or their agents.

At this point I would like to include a sampling of photos of finished
shakuhachi as well just for interest. That's why I asked for a photo
of the shakuhachi and the hanko close up.

Thanks,

Bill