[Shaku] Hanko photos

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 11:07:04 PST

>From: Bill Fletcher <bill@scienceandart.com>
>
>I am willing to build a web page and maintain it that would offer
>this.

A worthwhile project!

>I would like anyone who is interested to take a digital (or film)
>photo of their shakuhachi and a close up of the hanko and send it
>to me with the maker's name.

I have quite a few of these, mostly from the reibo.org website.
Do you want them as email (not preferred) or someplace where you
can download them via http? I can send a list of URLs.

>You should be sure about the maker - we don't want to post inaccurate
>information.

Good luck on this. We have a number of flutes whose maker cannot be
established from the chop. Many times no one can even read the chop
- despite the clarity thereof. A case in point is the "Anpo"
nishaku we had up a while ago. Neither Funagira (Senshu
Shakuhachi) nor Kaoru Kakizakai, nor Masa Yoshizawa could read the
chop with any certainty. We get a lot of those.

At best, I suspect you'll be puttting up photos, all of which might
be perfectly clear, but the reading of many of which will likely be
subjective.

But that's okay with me. Just a library of hanko photos, along with
suspected readings would be fun.

Great project!

bj

-