Re: [Shaku] Hanko photos

From: Bill Fletcher (bill@scienceandart.com)
Date: Tue Mar 30 2004 - 16:08:30 PST

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your words of support for the project. I've had a couple of
emails but only one link to a maker. I hope people will find the time
and interest to contribute photos.

I'm still leary of putting up "one flute" maker's that are guesses.
Although perhaps their could be a section just for that though . . .
the unsure section. You have several on your site though that are
known makers. I can download some of the photos if you don't mind.
Unless you have or can make better hanko photos.

There is none on your site for for Ryuho and I should have him.

Also Yokoyama Ranpo.

Kyosui is a name I don't know, but the text on your site infers that he
is a known maker. I'd like that hanko also.

I can probably "sharpen" the hanko for Kaneyasu Dodo in Photoshop.

  Is "Keisui" a known maker or an interpretation of this hanko. It is
a very clear photo.

There is a Shozan on your site and a Shozan who currently makes
shakuhachi for Mejiro. Could this be the same maker?? The current
Shozan was a student of Chikusen Tamai. Apparently a good number of
modern makers were students of Chikusen Tamai but I can find nothing
about his flutes on the web except one at Ronnies site (a Chikusen 1
and the current Chikusen).

I think I need to break into Ronnie Seldon's house and take photos of
his collection! There are a lot of pre-modern era quality makers there
like Chikuho Sakai 1 & II. (another "Chiku". That is a recurring
theme here including Bon"chiku". Do you know what it means?

Well I expect this will be an "over the years" project. I could
probably get a lot of hanko & flute photos at the New York festival. I
must not make a pest of myself though. 8--] BTW, do you know yet if
you are you going to New York?

Thanks again for any further help you can be,

Bill