[Shaku] "half-tones"

From: Karl Signell (signell@cpcug.org)
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 14:48:12 PDT

If I play sankyoku, I would want to match the "half-tones," whatever the
size and *musical context*, of the string instruments.

If I play solo honkyoku, I would want to internalize various meri intervals
for different musical contexts and different styles. And I would listen to
the meri pitches of the masters, being careful to avoid the Western trap of
assuming a particular meri has only one fixed interval.

My analysis of one Yokoyama meri for another shakuhachi list shows a
dynamic interval, constantly changing from 116 cents (a little more than a
Western tempered half-tone) to as wide as 145 cents (nearly 3/4 of a
Western tempered whole tone). And that's just one tone in one composition.
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~signell/take/

Karl