Re: [Shaku] Everything you wanted to know about re-meri

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 21:05:45 PST

Hi all
I've just come down from the mountains. Glad to see
such a discussion about re-meri! Well what Chris has
said is what I thought, there being re chu meri betwen
re and tsu, and re meri being the same pitch as tsu
but a different colour. The thing was that from a
previous teacher I was taught re meri as having it's
pitch ABOVE tsu, but only just. I.e. a pitch somewhere
in between tsu chu meri and tsu. I was really curious
whether anyone else had be taught such, but it seems
that many people are playing re meri as re chu meri!
 So has anyone ever come across re meri as this
microtone above tsu? Sounded "mysterious", but I had
heard that shakuhachi sometimes deals in microtones.
Just that after that I never heard that again. Maybe
it was an "old" way? Or maybe just a mistake?
 Best wishes to you all, and so happy to see
discussion.
 Justin.

--- Christopher Blasdel <yohmei@gol.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I see there is some confusion concerning the
> Kinko-style fingering of
> re-meri. Let me see if I can explain.
[...]