Re: [Shaku] Golden Ears

From: Phil James (nyokai@nyokai.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 08:15:02 PST

RbtJonas@aol.com wrote:

> David has created a CD set for this Golden Ears Training.

The CDs are very good. When I ran a recording studio I required all
engineers and interns to work through the entire CD course. A couple of
words of warning, though, before you go out and buy this very expensive set:

1. It is very useful for engineers-in-training, covering EQing,
compression, etc. It is much less useful, and probably overkill, for
general musicians who don't want to become golden-eared recording
engineers.

2. It is organized and recorded very well, but it requires tremendous
motivation to work through the exercises due to David M's very calm slow
voice that could put a Starbucks full of speedfreaks to sleep.

3. The CDs are only semi-useful unless you have an acoustically flat
listening room and speakers (ideally near-field monitors) that can
reproduce the entire frequency range from 20Hz to 20Khz.

None of this is intended as a criticism of his excellent work -- I just
doubt it's suited to the needs of most people on this list.