Re: [Shaku] jinashi - hocciku

From: Stav Tapuch (tapuch@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 10:28:17 PST

Could you be more specific concerning your allergic reactions?

I had a monsturous allergic response after this past summer's International
Shaku Festival - basically I tried so many flutes that at one point, i
suspect, I played a brand new one and managed to get fresh urushi all over
my hands. A couple of days later my fingers looked like freshly ground
sausages split open over a hot flame. (and, no, sadly, this is not an
exageration)

Public service note to shakuhachi dealers and makers: kindly don't let
people pick up and play the new flutes for sale without a basic warning.
You have no idea how mortified I was to learn, after it was too late, that
Urushi is basically Japanese for Poison Ivy Sap.

So, are you having itching scratchy red swollen blisters like as with poison
ivy, or something else?