[Shaku] Vancouver Shakuhachi Festival 2005

From: Alcvin Ramos (ramos@dccnet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 15:22:23 PST

--Apple-Mail-2--954242711
        charset=ISO-8859-1;
        format=flowed

Dear Shakuhachi List,

I am proud to announce the next Vancouver Shakuhachi Festival in the=20
magnificent natural surroundings of British Columbia, Canada. There=20
will be a registration form coming up soon on the site. I hope many of=20=

you can attend. It is a glorious and beautiful time of the year in BC=20
and easy access for the Japanese participants. Again I would also like=20=

to deeply thank the previous Shakuhachi Festivals from Bisei to Boulder=20=

to Tokyo to Australia to New York for inspiring the Vancouver=20
Shakuhachi Festivals. I look forward to the upcoming World Shakuhachi=20
Festival in Sydney, Australia in 2008 and the next one here again in=20
Vancouver in 2010 (just before the Winter Olympics!)

I will be giving a few reminders as the Festival date draws more closer.

Best wishes and insightful blowing,

Alcvin

VANCOUVER SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL 2005
http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/VSF2005.htm

November 10, 11, 12, 13: 2005

Venue:

University of British Columbia - Department of Music and Asian Center

Purpose:

The purpose of the Vancouver Shakuhachi Festival is to foster a greater=20=

understanding and appreciation of traditional Japanese music and=20
culture focussing on the Japanese bamboo flute known as the shakuhachi,=20=

through lectures, workshops, and concerts. We will be inviting some of=20=

the world's best shakuhachi teachers to Vancouver to lead workshops and=20=

give concerts. Well-known shakuhachi craftsmen from Japan and North=20
America will also be coming. Our mandate is to educate the public about=20=

Japanese musical arts and share its beauty, for the benefit of the=20
entire community.

Invited Guest teachers/performers:

 =46rom Japan:

Christopher Yohmei Blasdel (shakuhachi)
Kaoru Kakizakai (shakuhachi)
Kazushi Matama (shakuhachi)
Teruo Furuya (shakuhachi)
Yoshio Kurahashi (shakuhachi)
Atsuya Okuda (shakuhachi)
Kakushin Nishihara (biwa)

 =46rom Canada:

Takeo Yamashiro (shakuhachi)
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos (shakuhachi)
Debbie Danbrook (shakuhachi)
Norman Stanfield (flute/shakuhachi)
Satomi Saeki Edwards (koto)
Teresa Kobayashi (koto)

 =46rom the U.S.

David Wheeler (shakuhachi)
Larry Tyrell (shakuhachi)

Producer:

The Shakuhachi Society of British Columbia is a community based,=20
volunteer organization. We are committed to producing festivals to=20
enrich communal understanding and appreciation of the shakuhachi and=20
Japanese traditional music. We also encourage local artists' continued=20=

growth and education by participating in such festivals and workshops.=20=

(we're in the process of becoming a non-profit organization)

Generous Support so far from:

The Canada Council for the Arts, University of British Columbia, The=20
Japan Foundation, Consul General of Japan, The Pendakur Family, Kokusai=20=

Shakuhachi Kenshukan,

The tentative schedule is as follows:

November:

10 Thursday evening 6.30pm
Registration and welcome introductions at the UBC Asian Center

11 Friday Workshops at UBC Music Dept. and Asian Center
=A0
12 Saturday workshops at UBC Music Dept and Asian Center
Evening public concert at UBC Music Dept Recital Hall

13 Sunday
workshops at UBC Music Dept. and Asian Center
student concert at UBC Music Dept Recital Hall
Farewell dinner (venue TBC)

14 Monday
Free day of sightseeing

15 Tuesday
Leave for home

At this stage the costs look like this:

Registration
CAN$300 (US$250) for 3 days
CAN$150 (US$125) for 1 day
Includes all workshops and concerts

Accommodation
West Coast Suites (located on UBC campus)
CAN$125 (approx) for single or double occupancy per night. $15 extra=20
per person.
Twin share at the West Coast Suites (recommended by UBC personnel)

Food
There is a nice campus cafeteria near the venues and various=20
restaurants in town to choose from

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu! (Very best regards)

Al

=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Director
The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)
=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023
cell: 604.788.0060
MAIL: ramos@bamboo-in.com
WEB: www.bamboo-in.com

--Apple-Mail-2--954242711
        charset=ISO-8859-1

I am proud to announce the next Vancouver Shakuhachi Festival in the
magnificent natural surroundings of British Columbia, Canada. There
will be a registration form coming up soon on the site. I hope many of
you can attend. It is a glorious and beautiful time of the year in BC
and easy access for the Japanese participants. Again I would also like
to deeply thank the previous Shakuhachi Festivals from Bisei to
Boulder to Tokyo to Australia to New York for inspiring the Vancouver
Shakuhachi Festivals. I look forward to the upcoming World Shakuhachi
Festival in Sydney, Australia in 2008 and the next one here again in
Vancouver in 2010 (just before the Winter Olympics!)

I will be giving a few reminders as the Festival date draws more
closer.

Best wishes and insightful blowing,

Alcvin </bigger>

bigger><bigger>VANCOUVER
SHAKUHACHI FESTIVAL 2005

=
http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/VSF2005.htm></bigger></bigger></=

=

<bigger>

<bold>November 10, 11, 12, 13: 2005

<bigger>

<bold>University of British Columbia - Department of Music and Asian
Center</bold>

<bold><bigger>The purpose of the Vancouver Shakuhachi Festival is to
foster a greater understanding and appreciation of traditional
Japanese music and culture focussing on the Japanese bamboo flute
known as the <italic>shakuhachi,</italic> through lectures, workshops,
and concerts. We will be inviting some of the world's best shakuhachi
teachers to Vancouver to lead workshops and give concerts.</bigger>
<bigger>Well-known shakuhachi craftsmen from Japan and North America
will also be coming. <italic>Our mandate is to educate the public
about Japanese musical arts and share its beauty, for the benefit of
the entire community.

Invited Guest teachers/performers:

=46rom Japan:

Christopher Yohmei Blasdel (shakuhachi)

Kaoru Kakizakai (shakuhachi)

Kazushi Matama (shakuhachi)

Teruo Furuya (shakuhachi)

Yoshio Kurahashi (shakuhachi)

Atsuya Okuda (shakuhachi)

Kakushin Nishihara (biwa)

=46rom Canada:

Takeo Yamashiro (shakuhachi)

Alcvin Takegawa Ramos (shakuhachi)

Debbie Danbrook (shakuhachi)

Norman Stanfield (flute/shakuhachi)

Satomi Saeki Edwards (koto)

Teresa Kobayashi (koto)

=46rom the U.S.

David Wheeler (shakuhachi)

Larry Tyrell (shakuhachi)

<bigger>Producer: </bigger>

community based, volunteer organization. We are committed to producing
festivals to enrich communal understanding and appreciation of the
shakuhachi and Japanese traditional music. We also encourage local
artists' continued growth and education by participating in such
the process of becoming a non-profit organization)

Generous Support so far from:

<bold>The Canada Council for the Arts, University of British Columbia,
The Japan Foundation, Consul General of Japan, The Pendakur Family,

</bigger>

<bigger>The tentative schedule is as follows:

Registration and welcome introductions at the UBC Asian Center

Music Dept. and Asian Center

UBC Music Dept and Asian Center

Evening public concert at UBC Music Dept Recital Hall

workshops at UBC Music Dept. and Asian Center

student concert at UBC Music Dept Recital Hall

Farewell dinner (venue TBC)

Free day of sightseeing

Leave for home

At this stage the costs look like this:

<bold>Registration</bold>

CAN$300 (US$250) for 3 days

CAN$150 (US$125) for 1 day

Includes all workshops and concerts

<bold>Accommodation

</bold>West Coast Suites (located on UBC campus)

CAN$125 (approx) for single or double occupancy per night. $15 extra
per person.

Twin share at the West Coast Suites (recommended by UBC personnel)

<bold>Food</bold>

There is a nice campus cafeteria near the venues and various
restaurants in town to choose from

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu! (Very best regards)

=3D<<+>=3D<<+>=3D<<+>=3D<<+>=3D<<+>=3D<<+>=3D<<+>=3D

Alcvin Takegawa Ramos

Director

The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)

S9-C3

Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0

Canada

tel: 604.883.2023