Re: [Shaku] Honkyoku as public display

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2005 - 07:15:10 PST

--- Karl Signell <signell@cpcug.org> wrote:

> In the sacred mi-kagura of Japan, the orchestra
> plays music and the Emperor
> plays the role of celebrant in a Shinto ritual. No
> one else attends.

Hi.

Someone said here that Shakuhachi was a liturgical
instrument. Liturgy is drama, a re-enactment. With
or without audience, regardless of whether you and the
audience form a unit. As liturgy it is perfomance.

Zen means meditation. Meditation is solitary
activity. I know that groups do it, but even in a
group it happens inside an individual.

Buddhist meditation usually involves two aspects,
tranquility and analysis. The analysis is fueled by
study of texts.

I have difficulty locating playing shakuhachi along
the meditation continuum. It fits easily into the
performance category. I know that a lot of solitary
work goes into playing an instrument. I am prone to
fantasy during instrumental practice. But I do not
call it meditation.

Forgive the telegraphic form. I have a lot of work to
do.

Regards,

John Baker