Re: [Shaku] ouch !!!!

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 13:56:42 PST

--B_3194179003_1146923

On 3/20/05 12:19 PM, "mtrddog" <mtrddog@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> haveing some pain on my thumb , (right side , the the thumb that holds th=
> bottom part of the flute ) , but this morning I woke up and Ouch my thumb=
 hurt
> it faded away , but I have been holding the Shak a bit too hard , so I th=
ink
> that has caused it to sore up, also my question is have anyone have some
> soreness at this thumb , thanks trying to get bad habits out of my playin=
> thanks sebastian
>=20
> Hi Sebastian,
>=20
> The right thumb (or left for lefties) is the one finger that mainly holds=
 the
> flute. A lot of weight rests on it and it=B9s important to learn to use on=
ly
> the pressure or tension needed to hold the flute and no more so that you =
don=B9t
> injure yourself.
>=20
> You may need to adjust how you are using this finger. Two things are
> important. Where you are placing the thumb and at what angle. In gener=
al it
> should be between your index and middle finger, and not flat on the soft =
part,
> but rotated slightly so that the flute rests on the inside of the thumb o=
> bone. The position of the thumb or angle also affects all the fingers on=
 that
> hand. If you rotate your thumb your whole hand also will rotate.
>=20
> Try to train yourself not to squeeze the flute. It might help if you ima=
gine
> you are just balancing the flute on your chin and index and thumb of the =
right
> hand. Some students also make the mistake of squeezing with the left han=
> too.
>=20
> I guess holding the flute too tightly as a beginner is universal. Studen=
ts
> tend to hold the flute as if they are afraid someone is going to steal it=
 from
> them while they are playing.
>=20
> Another tip. It is not necessary to press down hard on the finger holes =
> make a seal. Press very lightly and on the fleshy (finger print) part of=
 the
> finger. Not on the tip.
>=20
> See how lightly you can hold the flute without dropping it.
>=20
> When beginners blow they tend to tense up. It can help to rest the flute=
 on
> you knee and practice scales without sound.
>=20
> Hope these ideas help. It=B9s hard to describe. Ask your teacher at the n=

--B_3194179003_1146923

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Shaku] ouch !!!!</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">On 3/20/05 12:19 PM, &quot;mtrddog&quot; &lt;mtrddog@y=
ahoo.com&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">hELLO I'm new to the Shakuhachi and=
 I have a great teacher and been at it for the last 2mths , last night I pra=
cticed for about an hour and I have been haveing some pain on my thumb , (ri=
ght side , the the thumb that holds the bottom part of the flute ) , but thi=
s morning I woke up and Ouch my thumb hurt it faded away , but I have been h=
olding the Shak a bit too hard , so I think that has caused it to sore up, a=
lso my question is have anyone have some soreness at this thumb , thanks try=
ing to get bad habits out of my playing thanks &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;sebastian <=

<HR ALIGN=3DCENTER SIZE=3D"1" WIDTH=3D"100%">Hi Sebastian,<BR>
<BR>
The right thumb (or left for lefties) is the one finger that mainly holds t=
he flute. &nbsp;A lot of weight rests on it and it&#8217;s important to lear=
n to use only &nbsp;the pressure or tension needed to hold the flute and no =
more so that you don&#8217;t injure yourself.<BR>
<BR>
You may need to adjust how you are using this finger. &nbsp;Two things are =
important. &nbsp;Where you are placing the thumb and at what angle. &nbsp;&n=
bsp;In general it should be between your index and middle finger, and not fl=
at on the soft part, but rotated slightly so that the flute rests on the ins=
ide of the thumb on bone. &nbsp;The position of the thumb or angle also affe=
cts all the fingers on that hand. &nbsp;If you rotate your thumb your whole =
hand also will rotate. &nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
Try to train yourself not to squeeze the flute. &nbsp;It might help if you =
imagine you are just balancing the flute on your chin and index and thumb of=
 the right hand. &nbsp;Some students also make the mistake of squeezing with=
 the left hand too.<BR>
<BR>
I guess holding the flute too tightly as a beginner is universal. &nbsp;Stu=
dents tend to hold the flute as if they are afraid someone is going to steal=
 it from them while they are playing.<BR>
<BR>
Another tip. &nbsp;It is not necessary to press down hard on the finger hol=
es to make a seal. &nbsp;Press very lightly and on the fleshy (finger print)=
 part of the finger. &nbsp;Not on the tip.<BR>
<BR>
See how lightly you can hold the flute without dropping it.<BR>
<BR>
When beginners blow they tend to tense up. &nbsp;It can help to rest the fl=
ute on you knee and practice scales without sound.<BR>
<BR>
Hope these ideas help. &nbsp;It&#8217;s hard to describe. &nbsp;Ask your te=
acher at the next lesson for advice.<BR>
<BR>
Good luck,<BR>
<BR>
Peter<BR>