Re: [Shaku] ouch !!!!

From: Timothy Larkin (tsl1@cornell.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 05:36:44 PST

On Mar 20, 2005, at 9:08 PM, John Goodman wrote:

> Or,
> one can stick on a small piece of rubber (or even a
> "crook") in the right place on the bamboo.

I use a square from a pack of Scotch (removable) Poster Mounting
Squares (# 859NG). These are soft, clear squares about 1/2" on a edge,
sticky on both sides. Stick one to the side of the flute at the
contact point with your thumb. I was surprised by what an immediate
improvement this made in my playing. It not only provided a point of
reference for thumb placement, but it significantly stabilized the
position of the flute with respect to my embouchure. The thumb side of
the square is very sticky at first (don't worry; you won't need to go
to the Emergency Room when you want to stop playing), but over a few
days, it reduces to a slight tackiness.

I heard several of the Japanese participants at the NY Festival
recommending double-sided Scotch tape for this purpose (I take no
credit for the idea). These squares are a more powerful version of the
same.

Tim Larkin