Re: [Shaku] List Moderation, Peace within the list

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 13:39:57 PDT

>From: John Baker <jinpa19822003@yahoo.com>
>
>I am a complete package, full of contradictions, light and shadow...

Me too. Part of me says, I started this list, and maintain it,
because I like the shakuhachi. I've been in this game (mailing
lists and management thereof) for over 20 years, and I've seen the
same behavior(s) pop up on every list I've ever been on. One list,
the anthropology list, had a suicide, a murder, and at least one
serious lawsuit that arose, in part, out of the list traffic. While
I think we're a ways from those acts (who says that arguments in
academia are meaningless), I am tired of the grandstanding, arguing
about non-shakuhachi-related crap (IMnot-soHO, of course), and
namecalling that re-occur on all lists.

>I detest manners when they are used to power one's way into imposing
>the polite person's will upon others.

Yes, another part of me likes courtesy and another part of me is a
meglomaniac. Put the two together and you get into possibly
dangerous waters. Of course, to date, all I've done is edited off
about 500 lines of excess re-forwarded mail from the ends of posts
where said excess (again, IMnot-soHO) didn't add a thing to the post
itself. One of my pet peeves. I'll also be stripping off
attachments. Another oft-requested behavior that gets too little
attention.

>And I don't do what other people think I should. Euphemism:
>moderation within the list seems to mean, please do exactly as I
>wish.

A bit over the top. I can't even get my dogs to do what I want,
even if I'm standing there with a hotdog in my hand. I'd hardly
expect to be able to control this bunch.

I will send a note to anyone whose post gets refused, with an
explanation. One time. Anyone whose post is rejected, and who
wants to argue for its inclusion, is welcome to write me and do so.

>Peace comes after conquest.

Depends on the conquerer, and it's a worthy goal.

bj

-