[Shaku] Jinashi-kan making workshop @ Bamboo-In write up

From: Alcvin Ramos (ramos@dccnet.com)
Date: Fri May 20 2005 - 15:33:20 PDT

--Apple-Mail-1-882246623
        charset=US-ASCII;
        format=flowed

Jinashi Shakuhachi Making Workshop with Murai Eigoro at Bamboo-In
May 14-15, 2005
(some photos can be see at:
http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/JinashiWorkshop.htm)

This past weekend at Bamboo-In, Pender Harbour, BC, Canada, was
beautiful beyond words. It was characterized by peace, great food, and
bamboo spirit.

We spent the last three weeks before the workshop preparing the garden
by constructing several benches and tables out of logs we cut down from
trees on our property. We also relandscaped the area and finished
Sandra's wood-fired kiln. I also made 15 mitre boxes out of scrap wood
for shakuhachi crafting for everyone to use.

We were definitely nervous about how the workshop would go. Would there
be enough tools? Would everyone get a nice piece of bamboo? Would the
lodging be adequate for the participants? In short, would everyone be
satisfied? 15 people registered and some spouses came so we had to
accomodate 25 people. Folks from New York, Oregon, Alberta, and all
around BC attended.

The weather forecast was rain all weekend so we were concerned if we
could even hold it at Bamboo-in. Sandra remembered that our neighbor,
Paul, had a large tent so we asked if we could borrow it. He said since
it was the property of the Pender Harbour Garden Club of which he was a
member, and he could only lend it out to non-profit organizations.
Since we were one, it was no problem. When we erected it, we were
pleasantly surprised to see it was larger than we expected. It was 15 x
15 and the center pole reached 20 feet in the air. It was a very solid,
high quality white tent which kept the area dry perfectly.

I drove to Vancouver early morning and picked up Murai-san and his wife
and son-in-law, Shiochi, at the airport. We spent all day driving
around Vancouver to see the sights: Stanley Park, Robson Street,
Chinatown, North Vancouver, Lynn Valley, West Van, etc. We returned to
the Sunshine Coast around 8 PM where we had dinner at Ichiban Japanese
Restaurant in Sechelt with a stunning view of the ocean.

Sandra spent the whole day at home cooking for the weekend. We were all
very tired at the end of the day so our sleep was deep and full of
snores.

Friday, May 13

The next day was spent all day preparing for the workshop by making the
"tame-dai" bamboo bending device, arranging benches and tables, and
buying a few more tools. We found time to harvest fresh oysters from
the bay nearby and Sandra spent another 14 hours cooking. In the
afternoon most of the participants checked into the Sunshine Ch'an
Monastery just 10 minutes from Bamboo-In.

Saturday, May 14

5:30 AM was meditation at the Monastery where we sat for 1 hour with
Sifu Chien Harne (Master Henry). Then everyone carpooled to Bamboo-in
where a delicious breakfast was served. At 8:30 we started. Murai-san
brought one piece of fine madake for everyone and handed out each
piece.

This first day was composed of:

TAMERU: Bamboo Straightening

FUSHI NUKU: Joint removal

TE ANA: Making finger holes

UTAGUCHI TEZUKURI: Fashioning mouthpiece

At first all of us just obeserved Murai-san as he did started most of
the work on the flutes as most had no experience working with bamboo.
Later everyone started to get comfortable to use the tools to hollow
out the bamboo and fashion the root ends of their flutes.

Lunch and dinner was exquisite to say the least: a mix of Middle
Eastern, Asian, European deserts...

After dinner everyone washed up at the monastery and entered the
meditation hall where Mastery Henry took us through three schedules of
meditation: silent meditation, mudras, and chanting. Then we played
honkyoku on the flutes we made.

Sunday, May 15

The day started with another 5:30 AM meditation at the Monastery. It
was raining that morning so breakfast was served in our house:
popovers, fruit, granola.... Luckily the rain subsided around 10 AM.

This day was spent individually tuning each flute. Those who had to
leave earlier were given first priority. Murai-san worked non-stop all
day refining each flute by fashioning the utaguchi, hole size, bore
work. Needless to say it was fascinating to see him work with rasp and
file as he knew just where to go inside and outside the flute to change
the sound as needed.

Of course another awesome lunch and dinner...barbeque, fresh salmon,
wild rice, pumpkin soup, fresh oysters, pumpkin pie, gluten-free
chocolate cake...

Randall and Joel came up from Oregon and didn't need to leave till
Monay so Murai-san reserved their flutes till Monday as everyone had to
leave that Sunday back to their homes.

That evening at meditation we sat in silence for one hour then played
honkyoku for 30 minutes.

Thus, ended the workshop.

Everyone returned with a smile on their faces, peace in their hearts,
and a fine jinashi shakuhachi in their bags.

---------------------------

Next year we are planning on having Kinya Sogawa to lead the next
workshop. And of course we are going to Japan again in November to
harvest bamboo with Atsuya Okuda's Zensabo and Murai-san. Those
interested in joining this wonderful experience, let me know as soon as
possible as the maximum # of pilgrims for this trip is 8 and space
fills up fast. You can read about our last trip at:
http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/Piligrimage.htm

The Bamboo-In is now open for those interested in retreats for
meditation and honkyoku study. Please contact me at ramos@bamboo-in.com
to inquire about space availability.

All the best,

Alcvin

=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Director
The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)
=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=<+>=
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023
cell: 604.788.0060
MAIL: ramos@bamboo-in.com
WEB: http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/ramos.htm

--Apple-Mail-1-882246623
        charset=US-ASCII

<bold><bigger><x-tad-bigger>Jinashi Shakuhachi Making Workshop with
Murai Eigoro at Bamboo-In

May 14-15, 2005

[...]

<bold><bigger><x-tad-bigger>Friday, May 13 </x-tad-bigger></bigger></bold>

The next day was spent all day preparing for the workshop by making
the "tame-dai" bamboo bending device, arranging benches and tables,
and buying a few more tools. We found time to harvest fresh oysters
from the bay nearby and Sandra spent another 14 hours cooking. In the
afternoon most of the participants checked into the Sunshine Ch'an
Monastery just 10 minutes from Bamboo-In.

<bold><bigger><x-tad-bigger>Saturday, May 14</x-tad-bigger></bigger></bold>

5:30 AM was meditation at the Monastery where we sat for 1 hour with
Sifu Chien Harne (Master Henry). Then everyone carpooled to Bamboo-in
where a delicious breakfast was served. At 8:30 we started. Murai-san
brought one piece of fine madake for everyone and handed out each
piece.

This first day was composed of:

<bold><x-tad-bigger>TAMERU: Bamboo Straightening

FUSHI NUKU: Joint removal

TE ANA: Making finger holes

UTAGUCHI TEZUKURI: Fashioning mouthpiece </x-tad-bigger></bold>

At first all of us just obeserved Murai-san as he did started most of
the work on the flutes as most had no experience working with bamboo.
Later everyone started to get comfortable to use the tools to hollow
out the bamboo and fashion the root ends of their flutes.

Lunch and dinner was exquisite to say the least: a mix of Middle
Eastern, Asian, European deserts...

After dinner everyone washed up at the monastery and entered the
meditation hall where Mastery Henry took us through three schedules of
meditation: silent meditation, mudras, and chanting. Then we played
honkyoku on the flutes we made.

<bold><bigger><x-tad-bigger>Sunday, May 15</x-tad-bigger></bigger></bold>

[...]

Alcvin Takegawa Ramos

Director

The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)