Re: [Shaku] Chord progression for shakuhachi music

From: Charles Turner (charlesturner9@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 10:05:07 PDT

--0-35318592-1117213507=:84051

When I compose shakuhachi music, I simply write it all as if it were for a 1.8 instrument, and then in the instructions to the piece, I say what length of instrument and what base pitch I am writing for. So the shakuhachi becomes a transposing instrument like the saxophone family.

This pretty much solves the fingering problem for me.

Charles

It takes some time to learn how to relate the notes on a 1.8 shakuhachi to the western pitches.The real pain in the ass comes when you try to relate western pitches to the fingerings of the other shakuhachi lengths. It's very difficult to read western music on odd length shakuhachi. Transposition becomes an issue. Thus choosing the shakuhachi which sounds best for the key can really complicate the task of reading the music. I wonder if anybody has come up with a slide rule or chart correlating western pitch to the notes on various lengths of shakuhachi?

--0-35318592-1117213507=:84051

<DIV>When I compose shakuhachi music, I simply write it all as if it were for a 1.8 instrument, and then in the instructions to the piece, I say what length of instrument and what base pitch I am writing for.&nbsp; So the shakuhachi becomes a transposing instrument like the saxophone family.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This pretty much solves the fingering problem for me.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Charles</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">
<P>It takes some time to learn how to relate the notes on a 1.8 shakuhachi to the western pitches.The real pain in the ass comes when you try to relate western pitches to the fingerings of the other shakuhachi lengths. It's very difficult to read western music on odd length shakuhachi. Transposition becomes an issue. Thus choosing the shakuhachi which sounds best for the key can really complicate the task of reading the music. I wonder if anybody has come up with a slide rule or chart correlating western pitch to the notes on various lengths of shakuhachi?<BR></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
--0-35318592-1117213507=:84051--