Re: [Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #955

From: Justin . (justinasia@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 17:20:19 PDT

> I don't have information, my speculation for what
> its worth (my -25cents you
> might say)
> is that that these pitches have been in a constant
> state of change ever
> since the Dokyoku were first played.
> The music is an aural transmission and has been
> passed down without notation
> up until Kinko 1 started to travel the country
> notating the Hon Kyoku.

Hi Bill and everyone
Okay I started to think more that you may be more
right than I first thought. Is it because of my
background that I play strictly to the pitch I learn?
Could be. I think maybe some of the old komoso folk
could have been a bit like me in this respect. But
then there are really some people out there who just
are not concerned about pitch, it seems. I have heard
this view, you know, about colour being more important
than pitch. But recently I have heard that ideology
firmly embodied. It is an interesting point. Could it
have been that a large number of people just didn't
particularly care about pitch? And so there being no
particular lineage of pitch? A disciple playing wildly
different pitches than his master? Could this have
been widespread? What do people think (you guys I
mean)? I get the impression that if your teacher
doesn't "care" about pitch, then that itself may be
passed on through the lineage. I wonder.
Best wishes
Justin.