Re: [Shaku] RE: shakuhachi V1 #967

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 15:29:58 PDT

--- Karl Young <Karl.Young@radiology.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> Which brings me to wonder re. the continuing
> discussion on the
> list about associations of shakuhachi practice with
> particular Buddhist
> traditions.

Shakuhachi is Japanese and this associates it with
Zen. Fuke was a Zen sect.

  While useful, perhaps we need a broader
> context to consider
> shakuhachi as spiritual practice (which I still like
> to ponder despite
> the fact that most of the discussions I engage in on
> the topic leave me
> more confused than when I started - maybe that's the
> point !).

There's a large literature on concentrating on the
breath. Playing flute is concentration on sound.
Concentration meditation stills the mind. So I just
keep on playing.

> Spiritual practices seem to me to require a specific
> focus on
> compassion as Mark pointed out.

For me, compassion will have to come later. I'm
trying to kill a mouse who wants to be my roommate and
I lack the skill to send him into a better life. I
just want to kill him.

Regards,

John Baker

PS I think it's Thrangu Rinpoche who discusses the
need for all three (Tibetan) levels of Buddhism. He
says that you have to do the Pali part which deals
with morals and behavior, and then move on. I think
this is disingenuous since the advanced practice (Zen,
Mahamudra) is based on concentration and insight.
These are found in all Buddhist meditation traditions.