Re: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi

From: Justin . <justinasia@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Jul 11 2007 - 23:34:59 PDT

--- delmar mavignier <mavignier@passionpixels.com>
wrote:

> hi Justin,
>=20
> i have tried only once to play the same shakuhachi
> before and after =20
> urushi.
> but it was just 2 thin layers of urushi and i am not
> sure i could =20
> hear the difference

Hi Delmar
Yes, that makes sense. On my own jinashi I just use
one coat generally.=20

> i also admit to have in my 2.3 shakuhachi
> (by Murai =20
> Eigoro) a thin layer of urushi which has
> protected it from moisture and cracking successfully
> for a few years.

Great job.

=20
> but you can see (and hear) the structure and surface
> of the bamboo, =20
> giving it the mellow, subtle
> and sometimes rough sound that i find so beautiful
> (you may find it =20
> dull though).

No, not dull. But would be more dull (i.e.
acoustically deadened) if it had had no urushi. You
can see the structure and surface of the bamboo
because it is a jinashi shakuhachi. That has nothing
to do with whether or not it has urushi in it.

> for me that's
> an important part of the soul of shakuhachi music
> apart from the =20
> music pieces and the players heart.

I think also jiari shakuhachi have a lot to do with
the soul of some shakuhachi music. For example, the
great Kinko masters such as Yamaguchi Goro or Araki
Kodo and other such masters, playing amazing sankyoku,
and even honkyoku, on their amazing jiari shakuhachi
with beautiful tone colour, very carefully crafted by
the makers of their schools for that particular nuance
they express. I have come to have a deep appreciation
for such refined craftsmanship, so intuitively used to
create such touching sounds. It is different from the
jinashi way of making, but now I appreciate that it
too is born of nature and a very amazing thing.

> i am more referring to jiari instruments where the
> urushi is so thick =20
> that it is a filling rather
> than a layer which applies for most shakuhachi.

Yes, so you are referring not to urushi but to ji. (A
mixture of urushi and stone powder). Then you are
talking about another story.

=20
> happy blowing from singapore.

Wow, in Singapore - any other shakuhachi players
there?
Have a lovely time!
Justin

      =20