re-Ueno vs Mejiro's

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Sun Mar 15 1998 - 22:50:15 PST

> Ronnie,
>
> One other thing to add. When I visited Mejiros in Dec. they had bins

>full of almost black "steamed bamboo". Some call it "smoked bamboo".
It
>certainly smells smoked, almost like salmon, though the smell fades
>after awhile. This new process is being toted as a way to crack-proof
>bamboo. I bought a smoked bamboo ha-sun from Kimura Kanzan, who lives
>in gunma-ken, right near the folks who do the processing. He told me
it
>wasn't fool-proof, but the best thing so far. Has anyone else had any
>experiences with this?
> By the way, you're probably right that oiling the bamboo doesn't
>add moisture where it's needed the most. Somehow it feels like I'm
>letting the bamboo know I care. (I can't believe I just said that, in
>public and all). Peter...

Hi Peter,

How are you doing? It is nice to see some activity on the mailing
list!!
What were your thoughts on Mejiro? I really liked that shop and the
people
who work there. They were very friendly and supportive. I also went to a

ship in the Ueno part of Tokyo which was an amazing shop but the man
there
was very rude to me and would not let me look at the flutes. When i
first
went in there a woman i assume was his wife approached me and i told her
was looking for maple flutes for students back in the states. She showed
me
2 and offerred for me to play them. which i did. She then commented to
her
husband that i had a beautiful tone. Afterwards i asked to see some
bamboo
1.6 as i was looking to purchase one. The man told her NOT to let me
play
any other flutes. I bowed, thanked them and left. Mejiro was quite the
opposite. When i asked to look at flutes, the man opened up the case
said,
"i have to make some calls but please play whatever you like and take
your
time". I was there for hours playing flutes, looking at music and
talking
to them and i returned there in october on my next visit to Tokyo. They
remembered my name and were once again incredibly warm. Funny in what a
difference the 2 places were.

I was also intrigued by the smoked bamboo. Are you making flutes out of
that now?

Hope all is well.

phil

ps i am planning on hosting Kurahashi Yoshio-sensei in the bay area next

winter for private lessons, master class and a concert.

Philip Gelb
shakuhachi:performance, lessons
ryokan@wenet.net
755-A Clayton
SanFrancisco, CA 94117
415 681 4529
http://www.hooked.net/~ryokan/
independent distributor: Cell Tech Super Blue Green Algae
***************

Hi Philip, I also went to both shops. I had a similar experience to
yours at Mejiro's. They were very nice, served me tea, put on one of my
CD's as soon as I came in, and etc. I also was allowed to play all the
flutes for as long as I wanted.
  I had a different experience at the Ueno shop, perhaps because I was
accompanied by a friend, who is a Japanese shakuhachi maker. I was
allowed to play all their flutes. Just so you know you didn't miss
anything, they were of poor quality compared to the ones at Mejiro's.
The Ueno shop mainly seems to be a sheet music store.
  About the steamed bamboo. I don't have any at present, but do plan to
buy some on my next trip. I'm presently making long (2.1 to 2.7)
ji-nashi shakuhachi from very old, aged and cured madake bamboo I
purchased last year from Japan. Peter...