RE: self study

From: Phil James (sparklingbeatnik@msn.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 08:58:21 PST

> Dear list,
> I received a shakuhachi as a gift and have no idea how to start. I have
> fingering charts and started with that. Has anyone learned by
> self study? If
> so how does one go about it? I can make a sound but inthe dark regarding
> exercises and stuff. I play flute. Do the flute exercises apply to the
> shakuhachi too? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
>
> Tots
> tots@netgazer.com.ph

Self-study without a teacher would be difficult, though there are people who
started that way... The notation, finger charts, etc. provide an
APPROXIMATION, but much of the traditional music includes subtleties of
pitch and articulation can only be conveyed by an experienced player. No,
flute exercises do not apply--the techniques are really quite different.
Monty Levenson's Web site (www.shakuhachi.com) includes several video
courses that may be helpful--I haven't actually seen them--as well as a
thorough list of teachers and other resources.

Good luck!
Phil.

Phil James
pjames@echonyc.com