Re: FREE workshop with Riley Lee, Oct 12

From: Dale R. Koenig (drkoenig@juno.com)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 17:09:48 PST

Hi all;

Yesterday I ran across a NPR feature from July of '98 on the shakuhachi
festival in
Boulder. And I remembered that someone was asking about where they
could get
a transcript or tape of it. Check out the NPR web site at
www.npr.org, and check
out the All things Considered archive. You can listen to the real
audio program as well
as order tapes. It is the last story in the feature that day.

Couldn't remember who was asking about it, but thought could send it to
this e-group
and would get out there.

Dale Koenig

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:28:54 -0700 Michael Connelly
<indus1@uclink4.berkeley.edu> writes:
> Hello all shakuhachi players,
>
> I am pleased to announce that Riley Lee will present a free (yes, as
> in "no
> cost") shakuhachi workshop, teaching pieces from the Chikuho school,
>
> written in Chikuho notation. This workshop will provide an
> opportunity to
> learn a new piece or two, while at the same time learn the
> notational
> system of the Chikuho school . All players are invited, regardless
> of level of experience or familiarity with the Chikuho school.
>
> Riley is a Grand Master in this tradition, which he learned from his
>
> teacher, head of the Chikuho school, Sakai Chikuho II. The Chikuho
> repertoire contains a large collection of traditional pieces from
> various
> sources, such as the Meian Shinpo ryu, Soetsu ryu, and Nesasa ha, as
> well
> as modern compositions--all written in Chikuho notation.
>
> Date: Thursday, October 12
> Time: 7:30pm to 9 or so. We'll gather at 7pm, to have a while to
> chat with
> Riley before the workshop.
> Place: Home of Nik and Sally Warren, 1016 Spruce St., Berkeley.
>
> P.S. Riley will stay in the Bay Area from October 12-18, and there
> are
> still slots open for private lessons. Normally, private lessons are
> $50/hr,
> but as an added incentive to learn the Chikuho notation, Riley is
> offering
> lessons on pieces in Chikuho notation for just $25/hr.
>
> Please contact me with any questions (indus1@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
> Michael
>
> "It really is not that hard to learn new notation systems,
> especially the
> Chikuho system....The main benefit is its opening up the possibility
> of
> playing lots more music, like knowing another language gives one
> access to
> lots more literature. " Riley Lee

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.