Re: Are you a Shakunewbie

From: Dan Gutwein (dfgutw@wm.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 07:49:19 PST

Yes. I'm 51 and started 1 year ago. Also male, and I need to practice
both for my well being and to satisfy my desire to play well enough to
share the beauty that this literature can give to others. However, this
isn't a new desire of mine. I've been wanting to take up the instrument
since graduate school in 1974 and never realized that one must "make time"
for things that are important to one's spiritual well-being. You have not
merely gravitated toward some new-age fluff-music that over-stressed middle
aged males have latched onto in order to obtain some sort of superficial
and short-lived spiritual high. As most of the participants on this list
can tell you, the literature, especially the traditional sankyoku and
honkyoku, is one of the most profound and intense musical literatures in
the world. It's right up there with Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Mahler,
and the great performers are some of the most excellent living musicians in
the world. My wife at first thought that she would love the meditative
quality of the sound, and she did for a while, when all I owned was a
2.1. Now that I have the 1.8 and can play in the upper register, she also
asks me to close the door!

Dan