Re: Music as Language

From: I.M. BULB (imbulb@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 08:32:28 PDT

Interesting topic,

As a primarily jazz-oriented musician, I see music in
two diffrent ways- one is as a colorful picture and
the other as a dialogue.

The dialogue, to me, is the most important part
because it spells out what you have learned over the
years- In jazz, in classical, your music theory, where
you grew up, ect. In the dialog, we can hear two
soloist communicating to one another. Much as we are
speaking now.

If you listen carefully to each soloist, you may end
up hearing quotes or, snippits of other classical
music or jazz pieces. Make no mistake, theres clearly
a conversation going on there.

Learning music theory is a good way to accomplish this
aspect of playing freely, yet keeping rhythm- John
Coletrain and Eric Dolphy are the two important
figures to utillize this "Communication" extensivly.

Yet, there are "OTHER" types of music to do this.

Sorry about the jazz talk.

Cheers,

Kyo-

=====