Re: Tuning a 1.8

From: supakit bhuphaibool (icarus927@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 23:00:13 PDT

To all,

A warm-hearted thank you to all that have given me advice about this older
flute.

I think I may have found the cause of its tuning problems. Before the flute
was given to me it sat in a basement for about 20 years. Sometime before
that, the last person who played it glued 2 metal discs to the ends of the
joint in an attempt to protect the binding ends - and possiibly make the
flute look more modern. This inadverdently lengthen the flute by a few mm
and introduced a gap in the mortis and tenon joint inside the bore.

A quick experiment with another flute - separating the joint part way and
then playing it - confirmed that this could be the culprit to the bubbly RO
and other odd notes.

I'm sending it to Tom Deaver to have the discs removed.

The valuable lesson I learned is: don't make an old flute into a new one!
I now know that older flutes do tend to be sharp and that one should adjust
one's playing style to them - not to mention preserving historical
artifacts. I was just suffering from a beginner's fantasy of playing an
older flute I suppose.

Well, thanks again for your concern and advice.

Duke.