Re: on vibrato

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 20 2003 - 09:19:43 PDT

--=====================_93119802==.ALT

I was at a book store last night and came across a book on Zen gardening.
It had a quote on the first page that I thought might fit in with this
discussion on vibrato. It was attributed as simply a Zen saying:

"Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the masters. Seek what they sought."

Herb

--=====================_93119802==.ALT

Zen gardening. It had a quote on the first page that I thought might fit
in with this discussion on vibrato. It was attributed as simply a Zen
saying:<br><br>
&quot;Do not seek to follow the footsteps of the masters. Seek what they
sought.&quot;<br><br>
Herb<br><br>
At 08/19/2003 01:26 PM, you wrote:<br>
there is only one way to play<br>
honkyoku, and that is without yuri. I said that someone like
Yokoyama<br>
or Kakizaki (or yourself) has a high level of authority, and that<br>
therefore these players' opinion has weight. But notice that I<br>
continued &quot;We have to ask, what is the value of that authority--how
to<br>
balance that with our own taste or desire to express our inner
selves.&quot;<br>
I could have phrased it as &quot;with what we think is the best way to
play<br>
the piece.&quot; As you say, when one has the confidence to play a piece
as<br>
one sees fit...I would add that gives one authority. Perhaps you're<br>
implying that the bamboo, or our innate understanding of honkyoku,
or<br>
music, or life in general, is the final arbiter, but if so where's
the<br>
center? I'm as iconoclastic as the next person, maybe moreso, but I<br>
think it's best to temper that with a certain amount of
unquestioning<br>
trust in one's teachers. That's just me though...<br>
Rather than argue semantics, though, I'll restate my point--that,
while<br>
there are *perhaps* no absolutes in art or anything else, there are<br>
differences that I would say are hierarchical, that is differing in<br>
quality. How else could we look at a Jackson Pollock painting or a
late<br>
Picasso drawing and differentiate them from superfically similar
works<br>
that lack the inherent greatness of the former? I recently saw a
photo<br>
of a green anodized bar of aluminum with some pieces cut out that
had<br>
just sold for over $300,000, which I guess makes it great art.
Maybe<br>
I'm not subtle enough, but the value in something like that for me
is<br>
more around $3.95 plus tax.<br>
In other words, the statement &quot;everything is relative&quot; is
itself an<br>
absolute statement.<br><br>
Peter<br><br>
--- Riley Lee &lt;riley@rileylee.net&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hello Peter, et al<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; What Kakizakai via Yokoyama via Watazumi plays and what Yamaguchi
&gt; played are different pieces, performed within a different stylistic
&gt; framework, using different techniques. There is nothing mysterious
or<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; profound about this.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; What works in one context doesn't necessarily work in another. To
&gt; compare the above in a discussion of vibrato, at least amongst us
&gt; shakuhachi people, is like comparing the proverbial apples with the
&gt; oranges. This has, as far as I can see, little to do with absolute
&gt; values in art or anything else, really.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &quot;Honnin no Kyoku&quot;, on the other hand, may very well have a
great deal&gt; <br>
&gt; to do with absolute values in art.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I hope that you play the Watazumi/Yokoyama/Kakizakai pieces as best
as <br>
&gt; you can, whether in front of an audience or on your own. I also hope
&gt; that you may eventually have the confidence and conviction in your
own <br>
&gt; playing to follow or to ignore your teachers' advice as you see fit,
&gt; whether that means putting in or leaving out vibrato/yuri.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Did you know that there is an old 'SP' (75rpm) recording of San'an,
on <br>
&gt; which Watazumi is using an exaggerated amount of vibrato throughout
the <br>
&gt; entire piece - every phrase! - created with a kind of komi-buki
&gt; technique? I've not heard it; Yokoyama told me about it once upon a
time.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Here is question for us all:<br>
&gt; If, at at lesson with Kakizakai, we (heaven forbid!) used vibrato
while <br>
&gt; playing a Watazumi/Yokoyama piece, AND we played it as well as or
&gt; better than Watazumi or Yokoyama could have played it, what do you
&gt; think Kakizakai's reaction would be?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; This is not about using as our musical authority, our own taste or
our <br>
&gt; desire to express our inner selves. How does one define 'better'
than <br>
&gt; Watazumi or Yokoyama? If you could play like that, then Kakizakai
would <br>
&gt; know immediately.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Here are two more questions:<br>
&gt; How many of us know who Watazumi's teacher was? Other than perhaps,
a <br>
&gt; passing curiosity, how many of us care?<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; Best regards, Riley<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:32:46 -0700 (PDT)<br>
&gt; &gt; From: Peter H &lt;voxsonorus@yahoo.com&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; To: Shakuhachi@communication.ucsd.edu<br>
&gt; &gt; Subject: RE: on vibrato<br>
&gt; &gt; Message-ID:
&lt;20030818173246.35032.qmail@web21206.mail.yahoo.com&gt;<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; This touches on the age-old question of whether there are any
absolute<br>
&gt; &gt; values in art, or whether it's all &quot;de gustibus non es
disputandum&quot;<br>
&gt; &gt; (since we're throwing in foreign language quotes ;-)). Yes, one
hears<br>
&gt; &gt; this phrase &quot;honnin no kyoku,&quot; but I'm sure that if I
played, say,<br>
&gt; &gt; Honshirabe at my next lesson with either of my Dokyoku
teachers, and<br>
&gt; &gt; used lots of yuri (vibrato, I prefer the Japanese term as
vibrato is so<br>
&gt; &gt; general and yuri is unique to shakuhachi), that I'd either be
stopped<br>
&gt; &gt; right away and told to not use it, or else told so after I'd
finished.<br>
&gt; &gt; That's authority. We have to ask, what is the value of
that<br>
&gt; &gt; authority--how to balance that with our own taste or desire to
express<br>
&gt; &gt; our inner selves.<br>
&gt; &gt; I like your description of Goro sensei's playing, but I'm also
told to<br>
&gt; &gt; do certain things when playing Dokyoku for an audience, and I'm
sure<br>
&gt; &gt; all of us will play a piece differently depending on many
things,<br>
&gt; &gt; including whether we're alone at home or playing for others.
But I<br>
&gt; &gt; would never use yuri because I'm playing for others and not use
it<br>
&gt; &gt; because I'm playing the piece as suizen. For me it goes deeper
than that.<br>
&gt; &gt; My piano teacher was a student of a student of Max Reger's, who
was<br>
&gt; &gt; considered an expert on Bach (he's the one who said &quot;Bach
is Anfang und<br>
&gt; &gt; Ende aller Musik&quot;), and he invoked that lineage when
convincing me that<br>
&gt; &gt; I should not use the sustain pedal at all when playing Bach.
Later,<br>
&gt; &gt; when I heard Andre Watts in concert and he used a lot of pedal
in a<br>
&gt; &gt; Bach piece, I thought it ruined the piece. Had I been initiated
into a<br>
&gt; &gt; deeper understanding of Bach, or just brainwashed into
intolerance?<br>
&gt; &gt; (BTW I was also told that in Bach's day, the thumbs were
not<br>
&gt; &gt; used--imagine playing about 95% of his keyboard music without
using the<br>
&gt; &gt; thumbs! But since this doesn't affect the end result, I wasn't
required<br>
&gt; &gt; to do that).<br>
&gt; &gt;<br>
&gt; &gt; Peter<br>