Urushi

From: Tom Deaver (tom-tom@ch-you.ne.jp)
Date: Wed Nov 19 2003 - 01:16:39 PST

--B_3152110606_309574

For more on Japanese urushi have a look, in English, at

> http://www.kougei.or.jp/english/lacquer.html

At the bottom of the page click on Kiso Lacquer Ware to see some of what
goes on near here. It=B9s about an hour=B9s drive or a bit more to get to the
Kiso River valley where all this and more happens.

For those of you who have the allergy, don=B9t fret so much if your whole bod=
hasn=B9t swollen up to the point where you can no longer put on your shirt or
trousers. Yes, I=B9ve seen that happen more than once although I=B9ve never ha=
an itch from urushi at all. If you are allergic, then you will get over it
after a while with repeated exposure, swelling, hospitalization, etc. Good
Luck.

The urushi supplier is sending to me a small book detailing the various
types of urushi, probably many varieties. Watch for more information as
time flies by.

Tom

--B_3152110606_309574

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Urushi</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">For more on Japanese urushi have a look, in English, a=
t<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><FONT SIZE=3D"4">http://www.kougei.or=
.jp/english/lacquer.html<BR>
</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><BR>
At the bottom of the page click on Kiso Lacquer Ware to see some of what go=
es on near here. &nbsp;It&#8217;s about an hour&#8217;s drive or a bit more =
to get to the Kiso River valley where all this and more happens.<BR>
<BR>
For those of you who have the allergy, don&#8217;t fret so much if your who=
le body hasn&#8217;t swollen up to the point where you can no longer put on =
your shirt or trousers. &nbsp;Yes, I&#8217;ve seen that happen more than onc=
e although I&#8217;ve never had an itch from urushi at all. &nbsp;If you are=
 allergic, then you will get over it after a while with repeated exposure, s=
welling, hospitalization, etc. &nbsp;Good Luck.<BR>
<BR>
The urushi supplier is sending to me a small book detailing the various typ=
es of urushi, probably many varieties. &nbsp;Watch for more information as t=
ime flies by.<BR>
<BR>
Tom</FONT></FONT>
</BODY>