Re: [Shaku] Pomade for Nakatsugi

From: Herb Rodriguez (Herb.Rodriguez@Colorado.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 08:47:29 PST

--=====================_330995430==.ALT

OK, Does anybody REALLY *KNOW* why cork grease is not so good for using on=
=20
the joint? Or is it an "urban myth"?

Herb

At 02/01/2004 03:54 PM, you wrote:
>You can get a little more info on Tom's web site, under "Loose Connecting=
=20
>Joint". No explanation as to why cork grease isn't any good, and pomade is=
=20
>good.
>
><http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/rep.html>http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/r=
ep.html

>"LOOSE CONNECTING JOINT =E3=80=80This happens with putting your shakuhachi=
=20
>together and taking it apart a few times without any lubricant on the=20
>surfaces. Repair involves painting the joint with black urushi, perhaps a=
=20
>few times, to make it tighter. Care must be taken to not allow to much=20
>taper in either the mortise or the tenon so the joint will not slide open=
=20
>by itself. The joint must not be so tight that, when put together, it will=
=20
>split the upper part of the flute. So be sure to keep the joint surfaces=20
>lubricated with some sort of grease. Cork grease for other instruments is=
=20
>not so good. The best in Japan seems to be Yanigiya Pomade hair grease,=20
>also perfumed. Bicycle grease is may be OK. Try various types."
>
>Bill
>In a message dated 2/1/2004 5:17:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,=20
>kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu writes:
>Thanks for the tip re. what to use on joints; does anyone know the
>criteria that that recommendation is based on ? I've been using cork
>grease that's sold for keeping the cork on the joints of woodwind
>instruments from drying out. I'm not exactly sure what it contains; it
>seems pretty harmless, but I'd be interested to know if e.g. this is
>slowly eroding the lacquer and that I should switch to Yanagiya Pomade.
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Gene asked me to post this for him.
> >
> > "Tom Deaver recommends the WATER-based Japanese YANAGIYA POMADE for
> > all his nakatsugi joints, and Nagase Kenji and I recommend it for the
> > ABS plastic Yuu nakatsugi. Tom Deaver mailed mine to me, thank you
> > Tom, but it is now available online, from Japan, by credit card of
> > PayPal from
> > http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/komusou-goods5-s.htm. And
> > this particular store also sells some descent shakuhachi and all sorts
> > of shakuhachi and komuso related gear. I recommend them highly. Gene
> > Neill."
> >
> > Bill
>

>--
>Karl Young
>University of California, SF Phone: (415) 221-4810 x3114 lab
>VA Medical Center, MRS Unit (114M) (415) 750-9463 home
>4150 Clement Street FAX: (415) 668-2864
>San Francisco, CA 94121 Email: kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu

--=====================_330995430==.ALT

so good for using on the joint? Or is it an &quot;urban
myth&quot;?<br><br>
Herb<br><br>
At 02/01/2004 03:54 PM, you wrote:<br>
Tom's web site, under &quot;Loose Connecting Joint&quot;. No explanation
as to why cork grease isn't any good, and pomade is good. <br>
&nbsp;<br>
<a=
 href=3D"http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/rep.html">http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~sh=
aku100/rep.html</a><br>
&nbsp;<br>
shakuhachi together and taking it apart a few times without any lubricant
on the surfaces. Repair involves painting the joint with black urushi,
perhaps a few times, to make it tighter. Care must be taken to not allow
to much taper in either the mortise or the tenon so the joint will not
slide open by itself. The joint must not be so tight that, when put
together, it will split the upper part of the flute. So be sure to keep
the joint surfaces lubricated with some sort of grease. Cork grease for
other instruments is not so good. The best in Japan seems to be Yanigiya
Pomade hair grease, also perfumed. Bicycle grease is may be OK. Try
various types.&quot;<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Bill<br>
In a message dated 2/1/2004 5:17:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu writes:<br>
<dl>
<dd><font face=3D"arial" size=3D3>Thanks for the tip re. what to use on
joints; does anyone know the <br>

<dd>criteria that that recommendation is based on ? I've been using cork

<dd>grease that's sold for keeping the cork on the joints of woodwind

<dd>instruments from drying out. I'm not exactly sure what it contains;
it <br>

<dd>seems pretty harmless, but I'd be interested to know if e.g. this is

<dd>slowly eroding the lacquer and that I should switch to Yanagiya
Pomade.<br><br>

<dd>&gt; Hello,<br>

<dd>&gt; <br>

<dd>&gt; Gene asked me to post this for him.<br>

<dd>&gt; <br>

<dd>&gt; &quot;Tom Deaver recommends the WATER-based Japanese YANAGIYA
POMADE for <br>

<dd>&gt; all his nakatsugi joints, and Nagase Kenji and I recommend it
for the <br>

<dd>&gt; ABS plastic Yuu nakatsugi. Tom Deaver mailed mine to me, thank
you <br>

<dd>&gt; Tom, but it is now available online, from Japan, by credit card
of <br>

<dd>&gt; PayPal from <br>

<dd>&gt;
" eudora=3D"autourl">http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/komusou-goods5=
-s.htm.
</a> And <br>

<dd>&gt; this particular store also sells some descent shakuhachi and all
sorts <br>

<dd>&gt; of shakuhachi and komuso related gear. I recommend them highly.
 Gene <br>

<dd>&gt; Neill.&quot;<br>

<dd>&gt; <br>

<dd>-- <br>

<dd>Karl Young<br>

<dd>University of California, SF Phone: (415) 221-4810 x3114=20
lab<br>

<dd>VA Medical Center, MRS Unit (114M) (415) 750-9463 =20
home<br>

<dd>4150 Clement Street &nbsp; FAX: (415)
668-2864<br>

<dd>San Francisco, CA 94121 &nbsp; Email:=20
kyoung@itsa.ucsf.edu</font><br>