Re: [Shaku] Playing the high Fs

From: Kiku Day (kikuescargot@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Apr 11 2004 - 20:15:04 PDT

Thank you everybody for useful responses. I tried out Hr. Karl's descript=
ion=20
playing with the knee. Unfortunately, my ji-nahsi shakuhachi tuned in D=20
(which has the length of 1,7) actually plays G with hole 1 open. That mea=
ns=20
that even with the knee, I get an F sharp... Oh well, but ithe knee=20
technique has inspired me to try some other methods than I have done so f=
ar.=20
Otherwise, I have to make a lot of D flutes and see if any of them plays =
F.

Contemporary Music Review is certainly seen in all university libraries I=
=20
have been in in UK. I even think the microscobic library at Mills College=
=20
has it. So, I will check it out there ot order it from Monty. Thanks for =
the=20
tip!

By the way, we Danes may have copied the Japanese in many aspects in life=
=20
(without admitting to it), but I think we have yet to use "san" after out=
=20
first names! :)

Blow in peace,
Kiku

>Good news, Kiku-san: Iwamoto explains in print how to play all those=20
>difficult notes, including the high F you're asking about. For that not=
e,=20
>he uses his patented "knee technique," i.e., closing the=20
>quot;bottom end-hole on the knee whilst making the indicated fingering [=
1=20
>open]." Same fingering for the F#, without the knee. And the=20
>publication comes with a demo audio cassette. Iwamoto says his
i>nstructions are for the standard 1.8 flute.