Re: [Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #624

From: macshute2@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 06:58:20 PDT

--part1_1ca.24db8c7e.2e15727c_boundary

Hi All,
I am a westerner beginning shak player at an old age(white beard). When I
perform Native American style, I have been asked song titles, copyright info,
roylaty payment responsibility and similar so that the facility is not
responsible. I play my own songs so that I am not affected by these various laws, but
if I play a Honkyoku song a hundred years old, that someone else(or many) has
played and copy right protected on their recording, how do the copy right laws
regarding shak music affect me in a performance? If each plays the same song
close to the original, I assume that some where someone has copyrighted their
performance. How do I answer the facilities requirement not to play
copyrighted material. Is shak music different? When you play a Honkyoku enough to
make it your own, is it truely then your own music?
   Malcolm

--part1_1ca.24db8c7e.2e15727c_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Hi All, <BR>
I am a westerner beginning shak player at an old age(white beard).&nbsp; Whe=
n I perform Native American style, I have been asked song titles, copyright=20=
info, roylaty payment responsibility and similar so that the facility is not=
 responsible.&nbsp; I play my own songs so that I am not affected by these v=
arious laws, but if I play a Honkyoku song a hundred years old, that someone=
 else(or many) has played and copy right protected on their recording, how d=
o the copy right laws regarding shak music affect me in a performance?&nbsp;=
 If each plays the same song close to the original, I assume that some where=
 someone has copyrighted their performance.&nbsp; How do I answer the facili=
ties requirement not to play copyrighted material.&nbsp; Is shak music diffe=
rent?&nbsp; When you play a Honkyoku enough to make it your own, is it truel=
y then your own music?<BR>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Malcolm</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1ca.24db8c7e.2e15727c_boundary--