Re: [Shaku] urushi problems

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 03 2004 - 09:30:30 PDT

>I am sure this problem has been discused before but for some reason
>I was not able to find the right text in the archives - so apologies
>in advance for bringing up an old issue.

Look at the archives around November of 2003.

>Should I just keep on using the flute?

Sure, but wait until the current reaction fades away, or you'll
likely develop a more violent reaction.

>Will I eventually develop an immunity?

Maybe, but unlikely, if my own experience is any indication. I
managed to bring my own reaction down to a managable level by using
the homeopathic treatment Rhus Toxicodendron. See the discussion
(above) and consult a local homeopath.

>Or will these rashes stay around until the urushi dries out?

Yes, mostly.

>...there is no way I am not playing this new shakuhachi. It seems
>like I will have to make peace with a constant poison ivy rash on
>my hands and face for the next six months or so...

Oh, the urushi will eventually keep you from playing that flute. When
the reaction turns to hives that cover your body from neck to knees,
you'll stop playing for a while :-)

Best advice, if you want to play it while it dries: wash the flute
*before* you play it, wash your hands and face immediately
after playing, and become aware of all you do with the flute and
your body while playing, so that you don't inadvertently spread the
urushi oil around outside the perimeter of what gets washed.

And enjoy the new flute.

bj

.